Monday 23 January 2012

GROOMING - WINTER SKIN CARE

Mansnaps is extremely excited to introduce you to our new grooming editor Adam Bennett!

Adam has been working in the Beauty Industry for over 6 years - he knows who's who and what's what having amassed a wealth of connections within all imaginable fields of beauty and grooming. Having worked "on the inside" in Selfridges Beauty Hall, Adam has a knowledge of product like no other man I've met! A hairstylist who has worked on the X Factor and on campaigns for Calvin Klein and GQ, he is my go-to guy for any questions I may have where male grooming is concerned. He is often called upon by beauty writers for his input into trends and can be found working in London's fashionable west end and on the discerning clients of London's Highgate and Muswell Hill.

You can follow Adam on twitter @benedict_adam and check out his first feature for Mansnaps below...

As a hairdresser I seem to get asked about everything! I’ve had questions about how to propose, the best places to eat or party, trends, fashion, fragrance, politics – you get the idea. One I always get asked around now is about skin care. I myself have to really put effort into any kind of grooming regime – I struggle to get my haircut every 4 weeks and I’m in and out of 3 salons a week! When it comes to looking after my skin it’s the same story – I can barely get myself together to apply one cream to my face let alone super serums, eye creams AND a moisturiser (if you guys have found a good way to juggle then please let me know!)

When it comes to winter, the dryer air causes natural oils to evaporate (from hair, nails, skin) - it’s that feeling you get when you walk head first into a strong, cold wind and you feel like you had a face lift! When it gets more severe your skin can crack and become extremely painful. Perspiration helps to regulate oil production in the skin – we tend to be less active in the winter and therefore sweat less. I’ve rounded up a few tips to keep your skin looking healthy this winter.

1. Keep drinking water – moisturise from the inside out – sufficient water consumption regulates circulation.
2. Cover up when you’re outside – gloves, scarf, hat. I don’t think this needs explaining !
3. Moisturise ! Grab a moisturiser that’s easy to use, non greasy and keep it in your bag/at your desk – if you can, try to apply it more than once a day to keep your skin looking good – it may be an idea to use a cleansing wipe first so you’re not moisturising on top of dirt – or in my case on top of hair products! After a couple of months of talking to my clients about what, when/which how I think I finally nailed a routine!


I am in love with Korres cleansing wipes – I keep a pack at home and in my kit bag for when I’m out working!

I then follow this with Biotherm Homme Aqua Power D-Sensitive. It rocks. Literally. Its free of parabens, alcohol and fragrance. It doesn’t make the skin look oily or give me that dodgy feeling around my eyes.

Another favourite amongst my clients whose name kept popping up was Khiel’s Facial Fuel – there’s one with SPF 15 which is important in winter as well as summer. Khiel’s also do a no-shine SPF lip balm which is great – my lips get really dried out in Winter so I just keep it in my pocket !

No comments:

Post a Comment