Sunday 26 February 2012

GLOBAL TRAVELLER


The look, which I am calling 'Global Traveller' has been building for some time. I first mentioned Aztec prints in the beginning of January and since then they have been all over the high st. Not that I'm claiming to be responsible for it's success, more pleasantly surprised. I was initially cautious to post about Aztec prints as some of the styles have been quite wild, which for menswear, never usually translates into mainstream success. Although, I think that the growing popularity of fairisle every A/W and the introduction to Navajo prints earlier on in the season have paved the way for this Global Traveller look.

The look is made up of lots of elements and is slighty complex, more so than the nautical look for instance. The key pieces for this look are Aztec prints, moccasins, backpacks, woven (belts, shoes, accessories) and Ikat shirts. Ikat is a dyeing technique (similar to tie-dye) which uses a resist dyeing process. This technique results in creating amazing prints with an ethnic feel.


I will be approaching this look with the word 'balance' in mind. Whilst I would love to be able to throw together an Ikat shirt with some Aztec shorts, woven moccasins and a backpack and look instantly amazing, sadly I know that this won't be the case. Instead, I will try and create balance by wearing my Aztec/Ikat prints with a basic and use accessories and colour to give the look a global feel.

ASOS are launching their new trend 'Laurel Canyon' soon and this image is a great example of how to wear the look.


‘ASOS have been heavily influenced by 70s west coast America for SS12, resulting in a range of psychedelic ikat shirts. The shirts are washed to give an authentic look and feel, a key element of our Laurel Canyon Trend’ Marty Thorne MW designer.



Here are some Global Traveller pieces available on the high st now.

No comments:

Post a Comment